Your Buddy and Social Life at HdM
Each year around 200 new exchange students join us here at HdM. Our Buddy Programme aims to support you, helping you to settle into your new life abroad.
Here is a message from our Buddies to you!
Starting at a new university can be a challenging time, especially if you are also travelling to a new country or event continent! Your Buddy (a current HdM student) will make this experience a positive and rewarding one from the moment you arrive here in Stuttgart.
The overall purpose of the Buddy Programme is to support the mutual integration of the international students and the HdM students, as well as to create new friendships and introduce the exchange students to life at HdM. Our wonderful Buddies will share their local knowledge and accompany you to various offices. They are also there for you should you need help with the German language or any other new things you will explore in the beginning of your semester.
There will be a number of events organized by the HdM Exchange Network and the Erasmus Student Network ESN's Stuttgart chapter that you can go to with your Buddies, and you can of course also arrange for your own leisure activities. This is a great way to make friends from all over the world!
These are just some of the many things your Buddy is very happy to support you with:
- Meet & Greet on your arrival
- Helping with the move-in if you live in the dormitories
- Registering with the City of Stuttgart
- Opening a German bank account (a must if you live in the halls and/or have a German health insurance)
- Visiting the Stuttgart City Immigration Office if you need to extend your visa/residence permit
- Setting up your study schedule online and helping with the HdM Email access
- Activating your HdM Student ID and arranging for your ticket for the Stuttgart public transport network VVS
- Going to social events with you
- Supporting you throughout the semester with any other questions you might have
Let's create some #HDMemories together!