Logo der HdM
Health Insurance

Health Insurance

To authorize residence permit, German Immigration Law requires that you provide proof of sufficient health insurance for the lenght of your stay in Germany. Normally this is fulfilled if you take out German compulsory health insurance.

Students from countries with which the Federal Republic of Germany has social security agreements, and who possess the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are exempted.

Germany has social security agreements with the following countries: all EU-members, Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Tunisia, Turkey, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Serbia and Montenegro.

Students from EU countries must bring a European health insurance card, obtainable in their home country, which entitles them to medical treatment under the German national health scheme. Non-EU students with whose country Germany has a social security agreement must bring a copy of the according certificate.

All other Non-EU students need to have German health insurance in order to obtain their student visa and to get enrolled at Hochschule der Medien. The statutory health insurance has an inexpensive monthly rate of approx. 78 Euros. If you are a Non-EU student, you will find a confirmation of membership, which you will need for your visa application, enclosed in your Letter of Admission. Please note that you must not take out travel insurance, it usually does not cover the statutory requirements! Travel insurance therefore is not valid and will disable you in effecting an additional statutory health insurance!

- - -

To be sure that you get along in everyday student's life, the German Student Services offers an illustrated health dictionary. You can download it from the website of the German Students Services or here (intern link).

© Hochschule der Medien 2017 | Impressum | Hinweise zum Datenschutz Login