Logo der HdM


Please read through the list below to ensure that you will be in compliance with immigration and visa laws when entering Germany.  The list includes additional tips and reminders about packing, health, etc.

(1) Ensure that your passport or similiar identification document is vaild for the entire duration of your stay in Germany. Some countries require that your document must be vaild for at least six months after your return to your home country. Ensure your document is validated with your signature, if required.

Before you plan your stay in Germany, you must determine whether you require an entry visa.

In general, non-German passport holders require a visa to enter Germany, when the purpose of their stay is to research or teach. Exceptions and exemptions from this obligation apply to citizens of an EU or EEA country and to nationals from countries with which the European Union or the Federal Republic of Germany has made special agreements. A list of countries detailing whether you need a entry visa  can be found on the webhomepage of the German Foreign Office.

The visa permits entry into Germnay and must be replaced by a residence permit from a cooresponding immigration office. Depending on the length and purpose of your stay, you will need a Schengen visa (research stay of up to three months), a National Visa (residence for more than three months, eligibility for employment) or a Researcher Visa (researchers from non-EU countries).

a) Entry without a Visa
If your stay is longer than three months, you must have a 'certificate of free movement' (Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung) (EU citizens) or a residence permit (Switzerland, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, South Korea, New Zealand, USA) can be applied for at the responsible Immigration Office in Germany. To determine what documents you will need to enter Germany, please visit the Federal Foreign Office of Germany Website.

b) Entry with a Visa

If you require a visa to enter Germany, please apply far in advance at a German embassy or consulate in your home country, to allow for plenty of processing time. The processing of a visa can take six to eight weeks, or longer. Each person needs their own visa. If you wish to travel to another EU country during your stay (for example, for a conference), you will also need to apply for a visa for that country. List of German embassies, by country.

Confirmation of your financing (salary from your home country / proof of scholarship) in German or English.
If applicable, a certified copy of your graduation certificate, university degree certificate, the doctorate certificate in German or English.

Bring several biometric passport photos required for various ID cards issued during your stay. Important: Please note the passport photo requirements are specific. Specific criterea and photo examples can be found here (in German).

If your spouse and/or children are traveling with you, you will need your marriage certificate and birth certificate(s), with a German translation, if possible.
(7) A confirmation of your health insurance proving your health insurance coverage also applies to Germany (please remember that in order to obtain a residence permit, you must prove you and any family traveling with you have coverage during the duration of your stay).

If you have a liability insurance or a private accident insurance in your home country, check whether they also apply to Germany.
Please bring appropriate documentation.

(9) Depending on your country of origin, you may need an international immunization certificate or a statement of specific or past illnesses (possibly recent x-rays). It is also wise to carry a copies of your prescriptions from your doctor with you, when entering Germany with any medications.
(10) International Drivers license, if needed

Be sure to pack the right clothes!

The weather in Stuttgart is constantly changing. There are four seasons, but often in Summer there are cooler temperatures and rain. You should ensure you have at least some clothing for cooler temperatures and rain.

The electrical connections in Germany are designed for 220-240 Volt, 50 Hertz AC and the Euronorm plug.
Bring adapters and converters if your devices have other technical parameters.


© Hochschule der Medien 2019 | Impressum | Data Protection Declaration Login