Information Experience and Design Research GroupHdM Stuttgart/Kim Kreiser
The Information Experience and Design (IXD) Research Group at Stuttgart Media University aims to make experiences with interactive representations of information more enjoyable and motivating. Its research activities focus on understanding the needs and behavior of users, on developing evaluation methodology, and on improving the user-centered design of interactive systems.
What can we contribute as a research partner in your project?
- Design of easy and intuitive user interfaces for various application domains (e.g. data visualisation, mobile apps, human-robot interaction)
- Design of user interfaces and products for a positive and meaningful user experience
- Research support in human-centered design processes (e.g. contextual inquiries, focus groups, interviews, usability testing, eye tracking, emotion analysis)
- Research competence in design for innovative user interfaces (e.g. visualization, human-robot interaction), development of research methods (e.g. valence method for emotion analysis of design), research in TV information broadcasts as well as concept and design of innovative mobile learning
- Conceive and evaluate mobile learning scenarios that fit the needs of learners of different ages, blended learning and virtual learning spaces
Current highlights of our research:
- The European Research Project Shadow Robotic System for Independent Living (SRS) has been completed. From 2010 to 2013 design and research for innovative interfaces for a service robot to support elderly people was carried out. Results of the HdM work in that project have been published in seven research papers to this date (see publications of Prof. Dr. Michael Burmester and Dr. Marcus Mast). Results of an experiment on advanced 3D interfaces for teleoperation of the SRS service robot were presented at AAL Kongress: Wohnen - Pflege - Teilhabe - Besser leben durch Technik in January 2014.
- The "valence method" (see project "Formative UX Evaluation Methodology") for a deep understanding of the emotional effects of design in interactive and dynamic media has been used in more than 15 studies by now. A recent publication on the method and research results a contribution can be found in the book Methoden der Webwissenschaft Ein Handbuch. Bd. I Anwendungsbezogene Methoden and a research article in the journal Information - Wissenschaft und Praxis (IWP). An oral presentation on method and research results was recently given at the Zukunftskongress (Future Congress) of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).
- Extended applications of the valence method are the study of cognitive and emotional processes during the reception of dynamic (audiovisual) information media in television (experiencing tv information) as well as the capturing of emotional states of persons staying in different sections of public space (e.g. a railway station).
- Research on tablet computers in schools in Germany and UK, strong partnership with the London Mobile Learning Group, standard work on »mobile learning in schools«
- Effectiveness, efficiency, complexity, or multi-project management are important prerequisites in the management of product development processes. In the project Role-Based Client we developed a role-tailored dashboard interface for MAHLE-Behr, a Company in the automotive sector in Stuttgart. Weve chosen a multi-method approach and participative, user-centered methods to analyze and transfer the user needs and requirements. The interface philosophy is designed for simplicity, directness, and speed. We presented the outcomes several times and published two scientific papers. A prototype of the Role Based Client is being developed and will be introduced and evaluated in 2014.
The IXD Group runs a state-of-the-art laboratory for carrying out experiments and evaluations. It includes a test room and an observation room and is equipped with an HD video recording system, remotely controlled cameras, eye tracking systems, and specialized software for data analysis. [more]